Thursday, January 24, 2013

StatCrunch - Graphic Representation of Data

In my intro stats class, I spent the last two days covering graphic displays for qualitative data (bar graphs, pie charts) and quantitative data (stem & leaf, histograms). Because I am fortunate enough to teach this class in a computer lab, I devoted today's class to a StatCrunch activity day.

To start off, my students joined a StatCrunch group so that I could share the data set with them. I had a data set consisting of 61 individuals and 13 variables (some qualitative, some quantitative). Once they all had the data, I showed them how to create a bar graph for qualitative data for the class that the individuals were taking (8am or 11am). The students then had to create a bar graph for the birth month of these 61 individuals, and answer a couple of questions that called on them to interpret the graph they created.

We followed the same approach (I show one, they do another and use their graph to answer questions) for relative frequency bar graphs, pie charts, stem and leaf displays, histograms, relative frequency histograms, and creating a frequency distribution from a histogram.

I was really happy with the way it went, and we were able to finish well before the 50-minute class ended. My students learned that working with StatCrunch was really easy, and that StatCrunch was quite powerful. (Wait until they see how truly powerful it is!) I also thought it was a great way to review the different types of graphs, know when they are useful, and how to interpret them.

I'd recommend having the directions typed out (so students have a written record of these procedures). I'd also recommend creating your own data set, so you can not only show students how to download data into StatCrunch, but also making sure the data is relevant to your students. I created mine by posting a StatCrunch survey that my classes filled out. Finally, you should have a set of questions that calls on your students to interpret their graphs.

I have posted both the directions and follow up assignment in a Live Binders binder called Stat Files. If you'd like to join my StatCrunch group so you can access the data, be my guest. All I ask is that you drop me an email through the contact page on my website (georgewoodbury.com) so I can keep visitors and students straight.

George

No comments:

Post a Comment