Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Good Math Teacher is Like a Good Jockey

There are so many metaphors for teachers, and the latest rage is comparing teachers to coaches. I like a slightly different spin on this - math teacher as a jockey. In a horse race, the jockey's job is to put the horse in a position where the horse can win if the horse is talented enough and has the desire. I feel that as a teacher I perform similar tasks. I explain topics, try to help provide understanding, and give inspiration and motivation. If the student works hard and gives full effort, then the student should pass the course and master the material.

The jockey metaphor extends to the beginning of the course. A jockey will tell you that a race is rarely won at the starting gate, but is often lost there. It is important to get your students off to a good start. You want to establish a positive classroom atmosphere, filling your students with the belief that they can do this. In addition, you want to get your students started on the right path of hard work and full effort.

In my next blog, I will go over my strategy for a successful first day of class.

No comments:

Post a Comment