Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Personalized MyMathLab Homework for Exam Review

This week my online elementary algebra class came in to take their pencil & paper midterm. The exam is very traditional, covering linear equations, graphing lines & their equations, and systems of 2 equations. The scores were, quite frankly, outstanding. Of the 34 students who took the exam, 25 passed including 18 A's.

To help my student's prepare, I used MyMathLab's personalized homework feature. First I created a 25 question quiz. Then I created a 75 question homework assignment, including 3 problems for each objective covered on the quiz. Finally I linked the two assignments.

Students take the quiz once, and that loads the personalized homework assignment. For each question answered correctly on the quiz, students received credit for the 3 associated problems. The only questions that remained on the homework assignment are problems that they missed on the quiz. So, students only review problems they struggled with. After finishing the homework, they can then go back and retake the quiz to prove mastery.

If you have not used this feature, I have a video that explains the process.
http://youtu.be/J4hdpHYdVWM

No comments:

Post a Comment